Sat 21-04-2018 09:44 AM

UAE paper: Make Israel accountable for brutal killings

ABU DHABI, 21st April 2018 (WAM) - It is highly distressing to note that the toll of Palestinians killed by Israeli forces since March 30 has already crossed 36, with hundreds also wounded since then, as per Gaza’s health ministry, said the UAE daily 'Gulf Today'.

Just four days ago, United Nations human rights experts severely condemned the continued use of firearms, including live ammunition, by Israeli security forces against mostly unarmed Palestinian protesters and observers near the fence between occupied Gaza and Israel.

The United Nations and its independent human rights experts, along with the International Criminal Court, expressed grave concern about the Israeli security forces’ use of force.

Unfortunately, such sane voices continue to fall on deaf ears and Israeli atrocities remain unabated on the ground.

On Friday, more Palestinians were mercilessly shot dead by Israeli forces.

It is highly distressing to note that the toll of Palestinians killed by Israeli forces since March 30 has already crossed 36, with hundreds also wounded since then, as per Gaza’s health ministry.

There is a genuine reason for the Palestinians to protest. They are objecting to their forced evictions and displacement since 1948 and calling for an end to the 11-year blockade on Gaza.

Among those killed were even three children and a journalist, who was wearing clearly visible insignia identifying him as a member of the press. Six other journalists have also been wounded.

A Palestinian youth was shot in the head and is said to be in a critical condition.

It should be noted that the situation for the two million people of Gaza is extraordinarily harsh and difficult to resolve. They are packed into the narrow coastal enclave.

It’s not surprising, then that so many would risk death by converging on the border fence, which has now happened three Fridays in a row, with dozens killed and hundreds injured.

UN experts have correctly pointed out that the deaths and injuries since March 30 by the Israeli security forces appear to be in breach of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (1966), The Basic Principles on the Use of Force and Firearms by Law Enforcement Officials (1990) and the prohibitions in the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949 against wilful killings and the serious injury of the protected population.

Israel’s use of brute force has led to unnecessary loss of several civilian lives. This is just not acceptable. The world community needs to question Israel on this, as too many innocent people have become victims of Israeli bullets.

The only way out is to restore the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people, foremost of which is the right to establish an independent state with East Jerusalem as its capital, besides other rights recognised by international law.

WAM/Hassan Bashir